This bundle as designed by Katherine Kimber (Dietitian) contains all the essential nutrients that we know are difficult to get through plant based foods. All are suitable for healthy adults who follow a vegan diet, and are within the recommended levels however, it is always advised to consult your health professional before taking supplements.
Some nutrients are difficult to get through plant based foods alone, therefore we have consulted Dietitian, Katherine Kimber with regards to which supplements are recommended to ensure you are getting what your body needs. The main ones to consider as a vegan are:
- Vitamin B12 – this is not produced by plants and can be found in fortified plant based food It is needed to ensure our nerves and body cells remain healthy.
- Vitamin D – this is difficult to get from food and is hard to gain from the sun in winter months. It is needed to support bones, teeth and muscles.
- Iodine – other than seaweed, plants generally have a low iodine level. There is no easy way of knowing how much iodine is in plant foods because it depends on the soil the plant is grown in. Therefore a supplement of Kelp is a good way to ensure that you are getting what is required. Iodine is needed to regulate your metabolism. Iodine can interfere with some medications so do check with your healthcare provider before taking.
- Selenium – levels vary in plant foods depending on the quality of the soil they are grown in. Brazil nuts provide a good amount; however, a supplement is a guaranteed way of ensuring you get what you need.
- Omega 3 – people from the Mediterranean, Japan and Greenland with a diet rich in omega-3 have been shown to have a lower risk of heart disease than Western countries such as the US and UK. Because of this and other health benefits on the immune system, brain, nerves and eyes it is recommended that we eat more foods containing omega-3. It generally comes from fish and is hard to ensure you get enough from plant-based foods alone so a vegan supplement can relieve any concerns that you are not getting enough.
Products included are: